We all crave a snack from time to time. It’s not quite time to eat a meal, but you are feeling a little hungry. We've all been there. But before reaching for unhealthy snacks like chips, cookies, or whatever we have lying around, consider making the change to snacking on fruits and vegetables instead. They are packed with fiber and other nutrients that can help you feel fuller for longer, reducing cravings and aid in weight management.
Foods that are high in fiber include:
- Apples: (4.4g per medium apple) Apples are high in fiber and pectin, which slows digestion and promotes fullness. They are low in calories (around 95 calories per apple).
- Berries: (2-4g per cup) Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are full of fiber. They are also packed with antioxidants and vitamins. Including berries in your diet is easy as you can eat them fresh or frozen incorporated into smoothies.
- Broccoli: (2.4g per cup) Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable and a good source of fiber. It contains both soluble and insoluble fiber making you feel full for a longer period of time. Broccoli is also rich in vitamin C and potassium.
- Avocados: (10g per half) Avocados are another good source of fiber. They also have a lot of potassium. Avocados have healthy monounsaturated fats, helping you feel full and regulate your blood sugar.
- Pears: (6g per medium pear) Pears are a filling fruit with a lot of fiber. They are also nutritious and contain vitamin C and potassium.
- Leafy greens: Eating kale, spinach, and collard-greens slows digestion, helping you feel fuller, longer.
- Bell peppers: (2-3g per pepper) Bell peppers have fiber and are a good low calorie snack. They also have vitamin C to help with your immunity.
For the best snacks that will make you feel satisfied, pair these fruits and vegetables with healthy fats like avocado, nuts, or seeds. While these fruits and vegetables are great to keep you satisfied between meals, it’s important to eat a balanced diet that also includes fats and carbohydrates. Eating these foods will not only curb your appetite, but are loaded with vitamins and minerals to help you feel good and energized throughout the day.